A 17-year-old boy has been arrested and charged in connection to a shooting outside Woodgrove Centre in Nanaimo last week.
As previously reported, Nanaimo RCMP were called to the area on Wednesday, February 11th at approximately 3:30 p.m. after a confrontation between a group of young people escalated.
Police said at the time that one individual discharged bear spray while another produced a firearm. Several people were exposed to the bear spray and a 15-year-old boy was shot.
The victim transported himself to hospital where he was treated for non-life-threatening injuries and later released. He is now recovering.
In an update released Monday, Nanaimo RCMP confirmed that a 17-year-old boy was arrested on February 13th in Victoria by VicPD officers, with support from the Greater Victoria Emergency Response Team. The arrest was made without incident.
The teen now faces five charges. Following a bail hearing, he was remanded into custody.
The charges include discharge of a firearm with intent, aggravated assault, assault with a weapon, possession of a firearm without a licence and possession of a firearm while prohibited.
Related: Nanaimo RCMP investigate after one shot outside Woodgrove Centre
Police say the firearm allegedly used in the incident has not yet been located and efforts to find it are ongoing.
“This was a significant and concerning incident involving youth violence in our community. The quick response by our officers and with collaboration by VicPD and GVERT, played a crucial role in safely taking the alleged suspect into custody,” said Inspector Donovan Tait Operations Officer, Nanaimo RCMP.
“Our investigators continue to work diligently to find the alleged firearm and to understand all circumstances surrounding this event.”
Police have previously indicated that the suspect and victim were known to each other and believe the shooting was an isolated incident.









