Driver arrested after pedestrian struck and killed in downtown Nanaimo

Share

One man is dead and a driver has been arrested following an early morning collision in downtown Nanaimo on Sunday.

Nanaimo RCMP said officers responded at approximately 2:30 a.m. on August 16th, after receiving a report that a male pedestrian had been struck by a vehicle near Cavan and Albert streets.

The pedestrian died as a result of his injuries.

Witness Ryan Hartley said he saw a yellow taxi van strike a man before leaving the area.

“Then the cab just drove off,” Hartley said, describing the incident as a hit-and-run.

He added that the man appeared to be badly injured and that he immediately called 911.

RCMP confirmed the driver of the vehicle has since been arrested. Police have not confirmed the type of vehicle involved or whether it fled the scene following the collision.

Police released no other information, including the identity of the victim or what charges, if any, the driver could face.

 

Turn On Breaking News Alerts
Be the first to know when major news breaks across Greater Victoria and Vancouver Island.
ENABLE ALERTS

💬 Join the conversation

👤3 viewing

No comments yet — be the first to start the conversation

💬 Be the first to share your thoughts on this story
mm
Victoria Buzz Staff
Your inside source for Greater Victoria happenings. Established in 2012.
Advertising Partners

Read more

Latest Stories