The 11th minute of the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month was one of the most symbolic moments in history, as armistice was signed to signal the end of the Great War.
Today, we use it to commemorate the bravery of soldiers, veterans, and those who made the ultimate sacrifice fighting for their country.
So this November 11th, take part in this timeless tradition by attending one of the many ceremonies and events happening in and around Greater Victoria.
Remembrance Day Ceremonies
Victoria – Legislature Grounds Ceremony
The ceremony will take place at the provincial Cenotaph at 10:30am. Afterwards, an open house and reception will be held between 12:15 PM – 3 PM at Branch #127, 514 Government Street. Attendants will include the Lieutenant Governor and other dignitaries.
Esquimalt – Memorial Park Cenotaph
The Township of Esquimalt will be hosting their Remembrance Day ceremony this year from 10:45 AM – 11:30 AM at the Memorial Park Cenotaph (1200- 1230 Esquimalt Rd)
Saanich – Municipal Hall Cenotaph
The District of Saanich invites you to attend their annual Remembrance Day ceremony in front of the Municipal Hall Cenotaph (770 Vernon Ave), happening at 10:30 AM – 12:30 PM.
Oak Bay Cenotaph – War Memorial
Join in the Oak Bay Remembrance Day Ceremony at the Cenotaph in Uplands Park. Everyone is welcome to attend. The ceremony will commence at 10:55am.
Colwood – Royal Roads University
Everyone is invited to attend a Remembrance Day Service at Royal Roads University hosted by the Vancouver Island Ex-Cadet Club. It will take place Nov. 11 at 10:40 a.m. in the Italian Garden, followed by refreshments in Hatley Castle.
West Shore Cenotaph (Langford) – Veteran’s Memorial Park
Join the Langford Legion #91 beginning at 10:45am to honour those who have severed & protected our country (located on Veterans Memorial Parkway off Goldstream Ave).
The Legion’s National Poppy and Remembrance Campaign raise funds for veterans and their families, the new military and others who are disadvantaged.
West Shore – Metchosin Fire Hall
You’re invited to join the 14th Juan de Fuca Scouts and Guides at 10:45 am for the march from the Metchosin Fire Hall (4440 Happy Valley Rd) to the St. Mary the Virgin Heritage Church. The Remembrance Day ceremony begins at 10:55 am. Refreshments will be served at the Fire Hall following the ceremony.
Central Saanich – Peacekeeping Memorial Cenotaph (Municipal Hall)
Lest We Forget Wreath Laying Ceremony will take place on November 11 at 11:00 a.m. at Central Saanich Municipal Hall’s Peacekeeping Memorial Stone Cenotaph (1903 Mt. Newton Road) under the half-mast flags. There will be a short ceremony to remember our fallen and to lay wreaths from veterans, first responders and their organizations.
Sidney – Mary Winspear Centre
The Parade of Veterans begins at 10:30, starting at the Mary Winspear Centre and ending at the Cenotaph in front of the Town Hall. The parade will proceed down Beacon Avenue, left on Second Street to the Cenotaph at Town Hall on Sidney Avenue.
The service will begin at 10:50am & conclude at 11:20am with the March Past & Salute to follow. The fly past will be during the two minutes of silence. Annual Open Houses will follow the Ceremonies at the Royal Canadian Legion, 1660 Mills Road and at the Sidney ANAVets Unit #302, 9831 Fourth Street.
Sooke Cenotaph – Royal Canadian Legion
In Sooke the Remembrance Day Ceremony takes place at the cenotaph at Sooke Legion, 6726 Eustace Rd. Ceremonies typically begin at 10:45.
Other Remembrance Day Events
Tribute to Our Wartime Heroes – Sing Along
- What: Join the Cook Street Village Activity Centre for a morning of singing and music. Every year their Sing-A-Long group dedicates songs and stories in celebration of Remembrance Day and in recognition of our war time veterans. Refreshments of coffee, tea and cake will be served.
- When: Tuesday, November 7th, 10:30 AM – 12:30 PM
- Where: Cook Street Village Activity Centre, #1 380 Cook St
- Admission: Free
“In Remembrance” – CapriCCio Vocal Ensemble
- What: CapriCCio Vocal Ensemble presents its annual Remembrance Day Concert, “In Remembrance”, featuring music of Eleanor Daley, Arvö Part and Morten Lauridsen’s ethereal “Lux Aeterna” for choir and organ; a premiere of a Canadian work by Robert Kowalewski; with traditional observances for the Battle of Vimy Ridge centenary. Guest artists include Stevan Paranosic, trumpet, Robert Dukarm, organ, and Jane Edler-Davis, piano.
- When: November 11th, 2 PM
- Where: Christ Church Cathedral, 930 Burdett Ave
- Admission: Veterans and 12 & under – Free.
General admission – $10-$25. Tickets can be found online, at outlets, and at the door.
Remembrance Day Free Golf for Veterans
- What: On November 11, the Westin Bear Mountain Resort would like to say thank you to all the military veterans for their service and loyalty by offering them a day of free golf. All you have to do is show them your Military ID and you’ll be hitting the links in style while riding in a complimentary golf cart with GPS.
- When: November 11th, all day
- Where: Westin Bear Mountain Resort, 1999 Country Club Way
- Admission: Free for veterans with proof
Remembrance Day Family Skate
- What: Enjoy a Day with your family to remember, at Oak Bay Recreation’s Remembrance Day family skate. There will be family friendly music and games, along with a pre-school coned off corner. A coloring and craft station will also be set up off the ice.
- When: November 11th, 1:30 PM – 3 PM
- Where: Oak Bay Recreation Centre, 1975 Bee St
- Admission: Free
Have we missed any events or ceremonies in the area? Comment below to let us know!