Amazon’s purchase of Whole Foods has made business headlines across the world, but what does that mean for everyday shoppers? Turns out, lower prices!
Starting today, Whole Foods Market locations across North America – including the Victoria location at Uptown – will offer new discounted prices on a selection of best-selling staples across its stores.
“We’re determined to make healthy and organic food affordable for everyone. Everybody should be able to eat Whole Foods Market quality – we will lower prices without compromising Whole Foods Market’s long-held commitment to the highest standards,” said Jeff Wilke, CEO of Amazon Worldwide Consumer in a press release.
More discounts will arrive over the coming weeks, but for now, mark downs on all of the following items have been confirmed.
- Whole Trade bananas
- Organic avocados
- Organic large brown eggs
- Responsibly-farmed organic salmon and tilapia
- Organic baby kale and baby lettuce
- Animal-welfare-rated 85% lean ground beef
- Creamy and crunchy almond butter
- Organic Gala and Fuji apples
- Organic rotisserie chicken
- 365 Everyday Value organic butter
Along with future marked down prices on plenty of other products, Amazon’s takeover will have several other lasting effects.
- Amazon Prime will become Whole Foods Market’s customer rewards program.
- Provides Prime members with special savings and other in-store benefits.
- Whole Foods Market’s private label products will be available online.
- Through Amazon.com, AmazonFresh, Prime Pantry and Prime Now.
- Amazon Lockers will be available in select stores.
- Customers can have products shipped from Amazon.com to their local Whole Foods Market store for pick up or send returns back to Amazon during a trip to the store.