Most Victorians agree that a parking lot isn’t the greatest use of space at Ship Point. Empty cars don’t appreciate water-front views nearly as much as the rest of us do.
So, this weekend, be a part of the change!
The City of Victoria has drafted a plan to overhaul Ship Point and they’re hosting an Open House to see what you think.
The concept includes an amazing amount of green space and a few additional structures but also keeps some of the current amenities, such as car and boat parking.
A graded slope would replace the current 9-metre drop between Wharf Street and the parking lot below, allowing for the construction of a small building, a pavilion, and underground parking.
The car park at the bottom right of the picture below would also double as a space for future events such as concerts and performances.
Photos and Renderings:
The rendering is based on the “Green Wave” concept, one of three proposed earlier this year.
The “Vision” for Ship Point
As seen on the City of Victoria’s Ship Point Master Plan website.
- Provide a site design and infrastructure to create a signature waterfront park and destination, and to support the location of year-round special events and festivals
- Strengthen pedestrian connections along the waterfront and to the Downtown
- Provide limited parking and improve the overall aesthetics
- Program the site for year round activity to make the site more inviting
- Support downtown economic health and vibrancy
- Maintain access and circulation to the sea plane terminal
Earlier Proposed Concepts:
“Green Wave” may be the chosen concept, but it’s fun to imagine what could’ve been. Here are two other designs that didn’t make the cut.
- Among other differences, this design would’ve incorporated a larger pavilion and substituted an outdoor parking space for a large lawn.
- This design features a modified shoreline. Also, rather than a “grand staircase”, this blueprint offers a zig-zagged ramp.
- What: Drop in walking tours – wear comfortable shoes for a walking tour of the site (weather permitting).
- Saturday, July 22, 11:30 am – 2:00 pm
- Monday, July 24, 4:30 – 7:00 pm
- Where: Meet at the star in the image below (next to the Harbour Air Terminal).