Are you a hiker, kayaker, animal lover, or just general Instagram enthusiast with a knack for the perfect photo? We’ve got some exciting news for you… To the tune of $30,000.
Scotiabank and the Canadian Photography Institute of the National Gallery of Canada announced the inaugural New Generation Photography Award on Tuesday.
The nation-wide photography contest aims to recognize skilled Canadians under the age of 30.
There will be three cash prizes of $10,000, as well as a group exhibition at the Canadian Photography Institute PhotoLab at the National Gallery of Canada from March 2 to May 27, 2018.
“This award has the power to change lives and careers by offering greater visibility for these young artists,” said Luce Lebart, director of Canadian Photography Institute, in a press release. “It will open up mentorship and networking possibilities and shine a spotlight on their individual work – we couldn’t be more excited to be involved.”
How to be selected:
- Recipients of the New Generation Photography Award will be selected from a longlist of finalists. Finalist nominees are submitted by nominators (i.e. photography experts chosen arts universities and colleges across Canada).
- To be eligible for the New Generation Photography Award, recipients must be exhibited, Canadian lens-based artists aged 30 and under.
- The jury will select three winners. Members of the jury include:
- Luce Lebart, Director, Canadian Photography Institute, Chair of the Jury
- Stan Douglas, Artist and past Scotiabank Photography Award winner (2013)
- Elisa Medde, FOAM Managing Editor, Netherlands
- Robert Bean, Professor, Visual Arts, NSCAD, Scotiabank Photography Award jury member (2014 – 2016)
- The longlist of nominated artists will be announced in Fall 2017 and the winners will be announced in January 2018.
Your own Instagram photos could be seen by thousands
To celebrate the award’s announcement, Scotiabank is also creating an Instagram gallery at the Rideau Centre in Ottawa, Ontario.
The exhibit will alternate through user generated content across 10 digital screens, culminating in a massive 20-foot double-sided exhibit. And you can be a part of it!
Just tag your photographs with #InfinitePotential and thousands of visitors could see your art.
So get outside, take photos, and explore our beautiful island!